Pages

Sunday 25 November 2012

Summer of 2012

I have now gone through [briefly] my 2 years of college, more specifically how I got involved with volunteering in football. Since the FA Football Futures Camp in July numerous other event have occurred with have now shaped this season 2012/13 and my time at University. I am hoping that this blog can bring my voluntary events up to date.

I won 2 awards for my voluntary efforts last season, firstly I was selected as AFC Telford United Ladies' 'Unsung Hero' award. Secondly, I was awarded the FA McDonald's Community Award 'Young Volunteer of The Year' for Shropshire FA. 2 awards which I am very proud of, to be recognised for my efforts is an amazing feeling - however I don't volunteer my time to win awards and or be recognised. I look to develop players and people, and develop football in general.

As I mentioned in a previous post/blog, over the season 2011/12 I was a part of the FA Coach Scholarship Programme, for working hard and sticking to deadlines I a was 1 of 9 coaches to be offered a place on the Scholarship for a second season [2012/13]. Another great achievement, but I didn't work hard to be offered a place again. I worked hard because that it my philosophy. 'If you're not going to do something properly, then why do it at all?'

Being a part of the Scholarship for a second season has already shown benefits. The Youth Sport Trust, National Young Coaches Academy is coming around for it's second event. I have been asked to attend the event again, as a mentor for the FA. Until this event comes up I won't fully know the ins and outs of my role and what I will be doing. However, I am very much looking forwards to the event after my success there last season.

Over the summer, I completed the FA Youth Award Module 2. This was just as good as the Module 1, in my opinion they are the best awards which the FA run, mainly because I adhere to that method of coaching. On the last day of the course I set my 3 goals for the future
  • To push myself into 'difficult sitautions' to then develop as a person.
  • Complete my University degree.
  • To have a more successful season in terms of coaching and volunteering compared to last season.
The final part of my summer, probably the most exciting part, I was successful in applying for a voluntary position working for the Independent Schools Football Association [ISFA]. As part of this role I get to travel around the country to set up football tournaments, these will be concluding at the newly opened St. George's Park in April. I hope to blog after each event which I attend. So for I have attended 3 events, at Chigwell, Cumnor House and Charterhouse. I have been working on The National Under 11s, 7-a-side Tournament.

Since moving to UCLan [University of Central Lancashire] I have linked up with Lancashire FA and I am now working with Penwortham Under 17s Girls and Springfields Under 7s. Yes this is very time consuming considering I am studying for a degree, but I am very much enjoying myself working with the teams.

I guess this now brings you all up to date with my past voluntary career, and where I am now.  I want to sign this blog off with a quote which has inspired me to reach my dreams and don't let anything get in the way.

"Do what you really want to do,
Don't let the words of others hold you back.
Take a step towards your dream.
As you move closer new opportunities will open up that you never imagined possible.
The journey will be full of struggle, but I learned that the greater the struggle; the greater the victory!
As you go for your dream, you will inspire others to live their own."

Rudy Ruettiger

No comments:

Post a Comment