Pages

Tuesday 19 March 2013

National Camp Feedback & All Things ISFA

This is a bit of an ironic moment, waiting for one blog, and then two come along in quick succession!

Last week I received my National Camp feedback. From the blog I wrote about the Camp, I hope you can see how much I took from the week. The time I spent reading my feedback brought back all the memories from the week, highs, lows and all! Just thought I would share some of the feedback which I got.

After going through my FFCamp blog, it's very understandable to see how my feedback fits in. "From looking through Sarah's reflective log it was evident that Sarah was keen to learn but at times trying to get Sarah not to reflect and actually enjoy the week before it passed her by." Reflecting is something which I do too often, learning how to control this will become a personal goal. Instead of writing trillions of notes, I should be switched on and enjoying what's happening. This doesn't mean, enjoy everything and take nothing. I need to find a balance of reflecting after events, and only during when it's necessary. "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Kierkegaard

It's quite fulfilling reading some one else's thoughts on the week, and nice to see what they have noticed. Something I had to learn was when to share ideas and when to hold back. It was difficult, but it was something which I understood and developed as the week went on. I think that this situation, so when I held back, was when I started to over-reflect within sessions. If I was talking or actively involved then I started to try and understand other people and their way of leading. Probably should have been listening to them fully, but when you sit back you get a better view of the bigger picture. 

In terms of future development, I really enjoyed the futsal module at Camp, the way in which it can really aid young, old, elite, grassroots or anyone to develop skills and then transfer in football. I have already acted upon this by completing the beginners guide to Futsal course, which was insightful and opened up another world of opportunities to throw into my own coaching.

Something I was made aware of is how people learn and like to be coached. Obviously you can't adhere to everyone needs all of the time. But during camp I saw how and when to work with individuals and groups to get the best results. I'd like to think this is something I'm quite good at, recognising different learning style and understanding individuals. It's something which has been reinforced at camps and on courses, until you understand an individual, what every you are coaching will be irrelevant. 

National Camp was top, top week. Feedback should be taken in the right way, reflecting is something which I do far to often, having it pointed out isn't bad thing, it just makes you aware that other people have noticed it. :)



Onto the second part of this blog.. In an earlier post I said that I have a voluntary role with ISFA (Independent Schools Football Association) as an event coordinator on the National U11s, 7 a-side tournament. I have now finished all of my regional heats, I've travelled to London twice, been down by Brighton, to Leeds, Bolton and Derbyshire. Now only the National finals await for me at St.George's Park at the end of April.

I've had great fun travelling around the country, seeing some of the sites.. The Olympic Park being a highlight. But looking back on the regional heats, they have come and gone very quickly, I can remember being nervous about the first heat in September and only last week was I getting up at 4.00am to go to Leeds. There have been so many highs and lows, having 3 of us setting up and running each heat has opened my eyes to what really goes on for a tournament to run. If a problem comes up you have to work as and present yourself as if nothing happened. There was an incident at Chigwell where a referee didn't turn up, we had to re-arrange ourselves and carry on like nothing had happened.

I've seen some amazing football being played, and quite possibly the longest penalty shoot out ever in the finals at Leeds. Had some really nice cookies in Derby, chicken in Chigwell and sandwiches at Charterhouse. I don't want to see a respect barrier for a while after having a half an hour wrestle with one, its a good job the sun was out otherwise that could have been a day ruined!

The beauty of my role is that most of my work is done before and after the event, so I get to see things all pull together as games are being played. Although I haven't done a lot in setting up the tournament, it's very fulfilling seeing kids enjoy themselves and playing good football.

It's been a dream scenario, spending full days in football, going home feeling like I've done a good job. Talks over dinner have all been 100% about football, and that is all I'm ever talking about! The downside now is that it is all nearly over. I've learnt a lot over the 6 regional heats, about myself, football development and how to manage tournaments. There have been times when there were only 2 of us running the event. I've been in difficult positions, running the score centre and trying to work out teams going through under pressure, train trouble trying to get around the country, weather being British. But if you can come out of it all with a smile on your face, knowing people have had a good time and gone home happy then you know a good job has been done.

For the time being, thank you Sean Smith and Mark Dickson at ISFA for offering me the opportunity, roll on April and the national finals at St. George's Park!

This photo was taken in Bolton with the tournament in full flow!


No comments:

Post a Comment