Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

Good things come to those who work..

'You've got a heart as loud as lions, so why let your voice be tamed?' 

A song lyric which perfectly sums up the person I was 2 years ago. Confident minded on the inside, but following a 'dinosaurs' opinion on the outside. By using 'baits' the lion is starting to come out, camps, events and opportunities; where an opinion is necessary. 

'Now we're finally finding our voices.' 

Through opportunities to strive, improve and a want to develop personally I have been able to progress through this voluntary journey of mine. Understanding what coaching is about and how my actions are making an impact. Coaching isn't just about learning to be comfortable in possession of a football, but being comfortable within ourselves as people. 

Last season I was a grassroots coach of an U11s girls side, which I thoroughly enjoyed and didn't think things could get much better. I couldn't have been more wrong. As previously mentioned, I've worked in a number of coaching environments this season, with so many players. I'd like to think I've had a positive impact on them, no matter how big or small. Whether its putting a smile on someone's face for a minute, teaching a new skill or being a role model. 

Through these opportunities I have been able to have a positive influence on the other staff who I have been working with. My hard work, time and dedication hasn't gone unnoticed. In the past few weeks I've had some phenomenal messages and requests,if you like, which have made everything worth while. 

The offering of opportunities which I never imagined possible. So firstly, one which I have previously written about. If all goes to plan I will be returning to Lancashire FAs Girls Player Development Centre next season, to work with the team in what i hope is a more 'hands on' kind of role. This shows that within the small number of weeks I was with the PDC this year, I made a positive impact and contribution on the players and in the eyes of the other coaches. I loved the evenings I spent there, the environment created to coach and play in was incredible and one which I hope can be created again next season. I'm looking forwards to being there from beginning to end, not jumping on the bandwagon as the programme came to a close. 

Through the FA Coach Scholarship Programme I have worked with my mentor and helped support her on a couple of girls festival events with the FA Tesco Skills Programme. These festivals have been a great success, so much so that a girls only skills programme has been put together to run weekly from this summer. This is a huge stride forwards for the FA and girls football in Lancashire, also providing a feeder system for the PDC and Academies. The best news, I've been asked to support the new sessions which are being set up, along side my mentor (How flipping well exciting?!!). To some people this might be, just another coaching thing. But I see this as a massive stepping stone in my football futures journey, and life journey in general. A mile away from when I got into coaching, not just an observant spectator but actually fully involved in shaping a young person's footballing adventure. 

As all good things come in 3s.. Towards the end of this season I started to become involved with the Lancashire Schools FA u14s girls side. As I became involved, the team were reaching the final stages of a national ESFA tournament. The girls reached the finals, played at Hillsborough, and were crowned National Champions! Another adventure which I was a part of and loved every single minute, even if I nearly threw up during the semi-finals, it was that tense!
Since the win, plans are starting to be put in place for next season. My name has placed as a permanent fixture within the management team for the U14s for next season, meaning I get to do it all over again, but this time from the trials, right the way through.... Hopefully being crowned champions again at the end. 

Next season is going to be unreal, the clubs I've worked with this season have all asked me to return and help out again next season. So my weeks are going to be very busy!! I've got plenty to look forward to over the summer and especially the coming weeks, Scholarship CPD, Team16 and the National Youth Futsal Festival in Birmingham at the end of June! 

I keep sitting and daydreaming about the coming months, wondering if I have made all of this up. 

Good things come to those who wait.. Or is it those who work hard and make them happen? 

 'Put it in all of the papers, i'm not afraid, they can read all about it.'




No comments:

Post a Comment