Pages

Monday 21 April 2014

Rant with Reason.

I've written a few blogs about Football Futures, how it works and has changed people's lives, and mine in many more ways than just within football. I'm well aware of the numerous quotes I've been dropping onto twitter, a lot of them relate to my journey and my thoughts of others. Maybe it's wrong that I post them, I don't know.

Anyway, I don't want to throw another emotional strop onto the pile. I'm hoping this gets a message across.

Football Futures has allowed me to connect with people who have a similar interest, people who enjoy being in football - working and helping others.. this something which I find fantastic, I really do. I've got so much time for people who want to help others, not just themselves. FF has taught me a number of things, patience, perseverance, that anything is possible.. well within reason. Most importantly, I've learnt that everyone has something to teach you. It's not just about learning off those more experienced, but asking questions of the people you least expect. Not over-looking people because of perceptions, everyday is a school day, everyone is a teacher - but only if you're prepared to learn.

I honestly believe that FF is about influencing others as well as your own journey, working together to develop individually.. if that makes sense? Through my years on the programme, personal develop is massive.. way more important than professional. I may be wrong, but my personal development has opened doors and has been the key to opportunities. It's about being committed to being the best person you can be. That means investing time in yourself. Now, I don't mean to copy one of those shouty motivational videos or anything of the kind.. I'm not saying lock yourself away and just sit with yourself, that doesn't appeal to everyone. If you're given opportunities, events whatever they're not just to attend and enjoy, there needs to be some sort of legacy- some longevity. Opportunities are there to help you better yourself, to improve your personal not your CV.


In Rwanda, Matt Jones posed the question 'if you could sit on a bench for an hour with anyone, gone or alive and just chat - who would it be?' That's a good question, my answer was blank. Since being a part of FF, I've lost interest in celebrities, stars and those in the limelight. Everyone who I want to talk to, I have access to. My role models are all around me because I've come to realise the qualities which they hold, I don't go looking for people - nor do I wait for them to come to me - I enjoy being around people, trying to better them and allowing them to better me. I've learnt not to become bitter or competitive about trivial rubbish, I work as hard as anyone, I enjoy it and surely that's got to be important right?

In sport, these 'marginal gains' are everywhere, why cant they be seen off the field as well as on it? Maybe they are. I can name all of mine, eye contact, speeches, that magical confidence, a little bit of will power and belief. It's the small things which most people don't see, the intangible not just the in your face stuff. I sometimes struggle to explain the benefits of FF, not because there aren't any [LOL that'd be ridiculous!], but because they aren't visual. You cant explain the personal gains, and some people don't recognise these personal gains, the size of them and the feelings of them. I can't word how much I've changed since 2010, I'm not a new person, I'm a better person.

Throughout all of this, so my FF journey, I continue to chat on about people. Those I've met and get the pleasure to work with. There are a handful of people who have to put up with a lot of my moaning, negativity, successes and challenges [I hope they don't mind]. I'm in a position where people care about my development and want to support it, which is magnificent. You cant repay someone for giving up time for you, you cant give it back. I've learnt to make the most of people's time and show my thanks for it, it's not just good manners, but you cant just take a bit here and there. I kind of want to get into a position where people can look up to me like I do to others [this might be happening already,  don't know]. To have people ask for help, not try and dominate them because I want to have some ownership, there's no need. Just to be in a position where I'm needed, not wanting to sound arrogant at all, but I don't think I'm there yet.

We've come to learn that it's the quiet ones who might be missing out, but how do you recognise these? The loud ones are either taking up someone else's space or taking up time. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but the quiet ones are probably getting on with their development, whilst the loud ones are consistently talking about theirs.

So after all of this, I've settled down to this:
-> Personal/ marginal gains are important, but you've got to want to succeed in that area; not just hope it's a side effect from other things.
-> People are all around you, embrace them and their qualities.
->Everyone has something to teach you, but they cant if you're not open to learning. Don't overlook these opportunities.
-> Enjoy your success, don't brag about it, learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment