Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2014

National Game Youth Council 2014

I've literally no idea where the year has gone. December 2013 getting 'The Call' off Lauren to say I've had my application accepted, I can remember the shine in my Dad's eyes when I told him, he knowing also, how much the NGYC means to me and how much I wanted to be a part of it. 

The anticipation and apprehension of meeting the team for the first team, nerves and worry of it all, wanting to make a good first impression, being on a team led by people who I look up to. The stress of the not knowing what to expect, already doubting myself before leaving the start line. And this was all before we started. 

Now on my way home from Wembley (well I was when I wrote this) with a backpack full of memories, I can't help but think and enjoy revelling in the years' successes, events and developments. This year has gone well above and beyond everything which I expected. A group of people, now a team. Strangers, who are now friends. This doesn't just happen by accident. 

This year has shown me where I want to take my life, how much working with young people means to me and that Laura Danskin was right 2 years ago. Looks like football development probably is for me. 

It's not been easy. Please don't take the good news stories and positivity as sign it's been a pleasurable walk in the park, because it's been far from it. Challenges which I didn't expect to face, none more that those which I created myself. I'm known for underestimating my abilities and low self confidence, I constantly tell myself I need to work on it.. But these aren't things which you can pull out of your backpack everyday. It's a common thought of, 'why should people believe in/ have confidence in you if you don't believe in yourself?' A very worthy question. 

Challenges of communication, learning to be smarter and using a method which gets responses, not what's easiest. I started the year knowing the end destination but not knowing how to get there. Wanting to develop youth set ups in the North West, but I didn't think about the how. I've learnt that you can't just impose ideas on people and hope they agree. You've got to create and build relationships. Understand each other's aims, values and objectives and then build for the future together. This isn't to say I've made it to the end destinations, but what I've achieved and succeeded in has been a lot more sustainable and effective.

I've learnt that life is like a jigsaw, NGYC life that is. You can't throw all the pieces on the floor and hope they land in the right places. You've got to take time to create the smaller connections and build from there. Enjoy the small successes, when something just clicks, you make a small break through.. Which will then add up to make a bigger impact before completing and seeing the bigger picture. It's understanding that no-one reaches the top of the ladder with 1 large step, but a series of steps which add up. 

Now, sitting back and reflecting, as I do, I can genuinely see the person I've become over the year. The slow thinker hasn't changed, but the outcomes of thinking have. The pessimist in the face of challenge has learnt to bounce back a little better, stand a little stronger and see the opportunity in the challenge. And opportunity is the right word, I've had the opportunity to meet and work with so many amazing people. Amazing in their own right. Passionate people who want to drive change in football. The opportunity to sing in front of 120+ people, to deliver presentations at the BUCS Football Development Conference, Football Futures Conference and Activator Inductions. The opportunity to make a difference. 

The days spent doing youth council work, and being with the team are ones I cherish and look forwards to. They are the brighter days which allow me to put the stress of uni and life to one side, and really work to developing something for other people. 

'Inspiration is contagious, you've just got to be around the right people to catch it.' I feel fortunate to have been around a group of unbelievable people. People who care about the development of their peers as much as the development of their counties. I must thank them for their persistent support and help when required, for making the journey enjoyable, challenging and worthwhile. 

NGYC 2014, team it's been an honour and pleasure to have worked with you all this year. To have shared so many fantastic experiences, from camp to throwing army soldiers out of hotel windows. I have loved every minute, working with you all when we're together and for you all when we're apart. 

To Steve and Donna, thank you for your help and support this year and beyond. It's invaluable, I wouldn't be where I am or the person I am without you both. Although Steve will say, it's what you do with the opportunities you're presented with, it is also about those who travel the journey with you and help you along the way.

Kieren, a fantastic mentor and friend whose guidance has been supremely appreciated. I'm incredibly excited that our journey working together will continue, but for now - thank you for all of the time you've given me.

The year might be over, but the journey continues. Not all who wander are lost. 

To the heroes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgF1Enrgo2g



No comments:

Post a Comment