Pages

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Reaffirming Thoughts

This week has reaffirmed everything already thought to be right. Right in a sense of why I do what I do, gallivant across the country and spend time with lots of different people. It may not be a paid profession, but meeting and working with people has very quickly become a passion of mine, it just so happens that I get to do that through football. 

It's been a weird week, football has provided me with 2 compellingly opposite feelings, one of hate and frustration, the other of inspiration and drive. I guess that's the fun of the game, and the unpredictability of it on a pitch not just off it. Last week I made the decision to leaving my university activator role, quite simply because I wasn't enjoying it, being in a position under scrutiny and it genuinely felt horrendous being in the position I was. 

On the flip side, this week, visiting 2 County FA Football Futures Events, presenting our first Youth Onside Award, visiting a football club working wonders, email discussions, everything which I enjoy. I don't want to use this blog post to describe everything which happened at each place but rather the key points which as the title states, re-affirms everything which I know to be right.

West Riding on Wednesday, I thought the day would be a disaster after a rock hit and cracked my windscreen on the way across, but that wasn't to be. Meeting with old friends and watching a new generation of young leaders learning and leading. Fantastic to see how much people have developed since National Camp last year, so much so to drive forwards and lead on 3 Football Futures Camps of their own. And I guess, that's what it's all about, using football to develop people. For me, once we recognise this, the progress increases more so than the feeling of developing referees and coaches.. It's it so much more than that. 

I didn't go to West Riding to steal ideas, I wasn't banking on anything to take away, but what I did get was the day with friends I've made throughout the programme, the chance to see young leaders further down the line who are passionate about developing the next bunch of young leaders and doing just that. 

For me, Bobby Madley's session, built around refereeing encompasses everything about the programme, yes the young leaders had a go at refereeing, the aim wasn't to get them to sign up to go on the next referees course. It was to develop confidence in making decisions, to have a deeper understanding and potentially change in perceptions of referees. As he quoted from Henry Ford, 'Whether your think you can or you can't, you're right.' Have confidence in yourself and put yourself in the set mind that you can do what you want to do.


Manchester on Thursday, being asked to attend as the 'guest of honour.' What a privilege, I don't think I will ever live up to the title of guest of honour, but I tried. Again, it was a day with friends who I've met across my time on the Football Futures Programme, people who are influencing others and now making a difference in their counties. 45 young leaders turned up for the day despite the weather, all who are on the FF programme, places for National Camp and mentorships were put on offer at the start of the day. The importance of the event really shown as all members of Manchester CFA were introduced and played some part in the day. 

For me, I didn't really know what I was meant to be doing, I guess I find it difficult finding a role in an event which isn't mine. It was a pleasure to see the youth council take hold of the afternoon session and deliver, as it should be, young people influencing and empowering other young people. There was 1 moment which made my day though, and that's all it takes. One major thing Football Futures has taught me is how important it is just to listen to people and make them feel valued. I spent lunch talking  to a lad who at 15 is already very busy and looking ahead to his future, wanting to coach and work with people. Already regularly working with an FA Skills Coach, waiting for his 16th birthday to do his level 1, with ambitions then of rushing on doing his level 2 and youth module 1&2. I spent maybe 15 minutes speaking to him and didn't think an awful lot of it, just sharing my opinion of not rushing into loads of FA courses taking his time, using what is learnt and watching other coaches at the level he wants to get to. 

As I was leaving the CFA that afternoon, I stopped by, shook his hand and congratulated him for what he's done and effort on the day, his response was magical. A lit up face and more thank yous than Santa gets at Christmas. Thank you for inspiring, mentoring and helping him. All is did was show an interest, listen, offer advice and try to build a bit of a relationship. That's all it takes. If that's it, to keeping people going, influencing them and pushing them to keep on doing what they're doing, then we should all be looking to master our interpersonal skills to develop others. 


Friday back at Lancashire FA, presenting our first Youth Onside Award, the Youth Onside project was launched to influence clubs and leagues to realise it's young people who play the game and it's them who should have a say in how it is run. After 5-6 months of the programme running we have 11 clubs working towards Youth Onside status, and are close to getting our first league on board. 2 clubs have now been given the Youth Onside Award for their work to create Junior Committees, to not only create them but sustain and listen to them and put ideas into action. 

Yesterday I had the pleasure of presenting Layton Juniors FC the first award, it was great to meet the people behind the work and the young people who are making a difference. The work of the Lancashire FA Youth Council is starting to pay off, now we've got to keep the momentum going and influence a change in culture across grassroots football in Lancashire! 


Finally, my half term tour led me to Bolton to see AFC Masters in a action, a football club created not so long ago to allow players of all ages with disabilities an opportunity to play football. I had a fantastic morning watching the training sessions going ahead and joining in. Not only are the guys playing, but also have the chance to lead of parts of sessions and older players coach and support young age groups. A club really driving what we're aiming to achieve, driven by young people and their needs.


So, quite a week. I've had a lot of fun and taken great pleasure in seeing counties at work and seeing young people in action. I've not really done a lot, but really starting to take note of why it all started. Football is such a fantastic vehicle, and I think sometimes we forget to see it this way. I've seen personal development left, right and centre all through the week. I get the fortune of working and influencing people to have opportunities like I've had and I know there are so many other people doing the same. 

As Jack Whitlam said on Wednesday, 'The journey of 1,000 miles begins with 1 step, you don't want to run in the wrong direction though.' A very correct thought, which sums up everyone's journey. The most difficult thing is to begin, pass that hurdle and the journey can really start

No comments:

Post a Comment