Pages

Friday 26 July 2013

Happy clapper? Or a positive thinker?

Recently I've done a bit of reading, as recommended by my coaching mentor I read 'The Chimp Paradox' and then i found 'The Art of Being Brilliant.'  2 books about the way we think, and how to think. 
The chimp paradox which explains how we've got a chimp in our mind which hijacks our thinking without us even knowing. Through routes of management, you can contain this 'chimp' and work with your 'human' brain. 
The Art of Being Brilliant, I can best describe it as a slap in the face in a book. Common sense written in black and white, but it's eye capturing and draws you in from the first word. A book which makes you smile as you read, and beyond... Isn't that just brilliant? 

So you're wondering why I'm chatting on about books when this is my FF blog. Well here it is, after reading these two books my mindset has been changed. No, I'm not trend following, copying an opinion, or anything like that. I'm making a change which will benefit myself and those around me. A conscious change which is entirely my decision every day. 

I'm going to aim for the 2% club, trying to squeeze that 2% above happy.. How do I do that? By being positive from day to day. Is that being a happy clapper? No I don't think so, it's being positive, taking ownership of the down days and making them better for myself and those around. 

Sure, being positive takes effort.. But if that effort leads to a happier (much more than content) me and more effective when in the company of others then surely it's well worth it. 

Let me out this into a FF and football context. I live a lot of my time worrying, stressing and getting frustrated... For what avail? Nothing, the same aim is still hit, the deadlines don't move and kids still need coaching. If I'm stressed all the time, worried about reaching my dream then I'm going to miss out on the journey. This emotion will rub into my social life and skills and that will be the message which I portray. That's actually terrible, the positive messages and effect I want to have is clouded by my own emotions. 

Spinning this around, nerves and stress is a part of life. Something to be accepted. Instead do waking up each day negatively minded about the day ahead, wake up with a smile and accept the challenge ahead. 
The Team16 launch was the best event which I've been a part of, I was positive throughout the day, attacked every challenge with a smile and could see my enthusiasm rubbing off into everyone else. I knew the event was huge and had a lot riding on it, but negativity wouldn't help anyone or the event.

So the feeling I had all day of the launch has stayed with me, and one which I want to last longer than every now and then. One which I know how to create, and will create. It starts with me, wanting to be positive. Consciously choosing to be happy everyday, making the most of everything. Attacking every challenge knowing that it has to be done, I can't do better than my best - so I may as well do it with a smile and a 'PMA.' 

Day 1 after finishing 'The Art of Being Brilliant' was today. What did I do today? Spent my morning with Lancashire FA Tesco Skills Team at a Girls Skills Festival. Time to put things into practice. I woke up, excited, not nervous. Prepared, not stressed. I've worn my smile out, it's been on public display all day. Guess what? I've had the most fantastic, super duper day. Enjoyed every minute and every task. 
Lets be honest, when working with 5-11 year olds there is no room for negativity. But a let up in enthusiasm would be noticed. I've spent my day with a coaches mind in a child's body. Made a number of kids laugh and smile along with helping them to develop their skills. Who's decision was it to be positive today? Mine. 

Happy clapper? Not a chance. Sure future days might not be the same, but with the same approach I will be happier in every walk. every journey. everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment