Pages

Sunday 29 June 2014

Why are you here? NGYC

6 months through the year, 6 months through my FA National Game Youth Council experience. My first ever experience of being a part of a youth council, and I'm loving every minute! The contact with counties, meeting new people, seeing the difference I'm making and now looking ahead to National Camp.

Attending meetings is always exciting, hearing how the team are getting on, the latest updates, catching up with friends, mentor meetings, planning and workshops which make you think. 

It's been confirmed that I am an elephant mixed with a dolphin (Nigel Risner - It's a Zoo Around Here) which has been reflected in my work. The time I take to do things, to make sure they are done properly. Spending time with counties who want help, looking to create strong rapports. 

I've come to learn, that the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. So I'm hoping that nearly all of the counties within the North West have some kind of youth council/ management team by the end of the year. Hoping to play my part in hitting our overarching goal for Youth coverage across the country. It's also my role to maintain the current youth councils we have.

So far we've run the County Chairs training for those currently involved within a County FA set up. Delivering workshops which will benefit the Chairs and people who attended, and now create a legacy where Empowering Youth sessions can now be delivered within counties, leagues and clubs. 

The Football Legacy Programme and Fund is up and running, events have been delivered and a number are planned for the coming months. A programme which is allowing youth councils / management teams an opportunity to create their own programmes to then be delivered. 

Now we look ahead to National Camp. Just a few weeks away, the excitement is sky high and I can't wait to return to the camp as part of the NGYC after attending as a young leader 2 years ago. The comment has been made that this could be 'my moment', time to shine.. *jazz hands at the ready.* I'm looking forwards to being around the young leaders, working with individuals and trying to make the week a positive experience for all. The first night's activities have been planned by myself and Jord which is very exciting.
What I love more, National Camp 2012 was the best week of my life. I met some amazing people and have continued to build on the learning and developments made. As Camp benefitted me so much, I really want to make sure that this year Camp has the same effect on others. 

The NGYC constantly question my thinking and challenges how I'm doing things. The latest question I'm pondering is, why are you here? Why am I on the youth council? Why did I apply? To be honest, I applied off the back of Camp 2 years ago, seeing the difference in which the Youth Council could make to me, and wanting to be able to do the same. Since Camp 2012 this want to be involved has grown, and since being a part of the NGYC I've come to realise how prominent my passion is to be to able to influence and help others. At no point have I ever thought, ooh that'd be a good CV enhancer, ooh that might provide me with experience for a job. 

I'm on the NGYC because I want to be able to make a difference whilst being a part of a passionate group of young people who want the same. 

So far the experience has been everything I hoped for plus more. Questions are already being asked about next year, but for now, I've got plans to make, #FFCamp14 goals to write, workshops to deliver and youth councils to support. 

If you're not already, please get following @TheFaNYC and join in with the Camp build up and to keep an eye on the amazing thing which young people are doing in football.

Just a little Pep talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment