Pages

Sunday 7 July 2019

Untitled

You don’t need a role or title, just heart and direction. 

I think that’s what I’ve learnt over the last 10 years. Of wading my way through experiences, roles, insecurities and doubts. Reaching the end of this wonderful youth leadership journey, the final few pages. I can’t ever promise that others will have the same journey I have, but I can promise, that the pathway is clearer, brighter and open for anyone who wants to find themselves as a leader and person.

My companions. The people I’ve met, made friends with and enjoyed striding with. I’ve written about them a lot across my blog. But I cannot write of their importance enough. I’m grateful for the acquaintances who have become my north stars. Who have become the most special people whose time I value so much. The people who have kept me on track, told me to get a grip on regular occurrences. Who have enjoyed my successes as if they were their own. The people who have helped me through some of the most difficult times of my life so far. The great news is that these people are here forever. And I love them so much.

I guess I’ve been able to face a lot of personal barriers. The lack of self-confidence, the perfectionism, the self-criticism which is way and above criticism. I come away from my time within the youth leadership process as a better person. With the self-awareness to recognise who I am, what I stand for and able to open the zoo. I’m proud of who I’ve fought to become.

I’m even prouder of every person who I’ve been able to come into contact with, support, help, encourage along their own journey. Because it is the fire of enthusiasm and development which continues to inspire me to do more and be more. It’s knowing that everything I do is on behalf of something much bigger than myself which drives me to keep pushing, arguing and working to ensure young people have everything they need to reach and maximise their potential. Planting the tree I won’t sit under, or eat the fruits from. But knowing someone one day will, because someone did the same for me.

The line in my head, always, is ‘someone once took a chance on you.’ Which they did. Someone took a chance on me, which I hope I’ve showed faith in. I’ve done things beyond my wildest dreams because I was aiming too low. Or maybe, I didn’t realise what was possible.

There’s something endearing about naive people like like I was, who break barrier after barrier. Without fear or at times knowledge of what the impact is. But there’s something cooler, about people who realise the big picture and ambitiously run full speed into challenge and back themselves to come out alive and on the winning side.
I’ve fought a lot of battles, maybe not won the war. But that was never for me to do.

It’s taken a lot of thought. But I’m ready for this to come to a close. To be able to walk away knowing I’ve done all I can. The setbacks have been redirections which have allowed for learning and new/ better opportunities. I’m moving from front and centre, to supporter from the sideline. It’s going to be strange. But it’s time. And I know that.

Before anybody asks that question for the millionth time. No, I don’t know what I’m going to do with the spare time. No, I’m not sure what I’m going to do next. And I’m 100% ok with that.

I’m going to close this waffle, and in part the chapter with a thank you to my two biggest supporters. To Mom & Dad. Without whom, I wouldn’t be half the person I am. I wouldn’t have been able to get near the opportunities I have. I owe them both so much, I know I’m making them proud. Reaching for the moon, as the stars await if I miss. Thank you for teaching me dream, and helping me bring that to life. For giving me the tough talks when I needed them, for supporting - not judging my life decisions. And for being as excited and scared about my next chapter as I am. I love you more than you’ll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment